Skip to main content

Yoga and pregnancy

Pregnancy is a great personal journey for any woman and is a time of mental and physical change. It can also be a challenging time, as adjustments need to be made as the body starts to change shape.

A pregnancy yoga practice can help address some of these changes in a positive way. Women who practice yoga during pregnancy are able to be really present in their bodies and connect with their unborn child. Yoga has a calming effect on the mother, which is, in turn, transmitted to the baby.

Breathing techniques learnt in prenatal yoga can be used at anytime during pregnancy and many women find them very useful when giving birth. Focusing on the breath can have a profound effect; by learning to control breathing a women can feel empowered and more in control of her thoughts and her body.

Pregnancy yoga differs from general yoga classes, in that many of the classical poses are adapted to accommodate changes in the body. Twists are open, poses are fluid and nurturing for the mum-to-be, creating space in the body and helping to alleviate some of the common ailments often associated with pregnancy such as backache, heartburn, swollen limbs etc.

By practising yoga, the body is strengthened and toned; and many women find that it takes them less time to regain their shape and fitness after giving birth. On top of this, spending time in a pregnancy yoga class with other women can be an emotionally bonding experience and many friendships are formed at this time.


Q. When can I start prenatal yoga

A. During the first trimester, less is best, as the body is adapting to the changes in hormones and your baby is fast developing. Breathing techniques are encouraged and rest is very important at this stage. Fatigue can sometimes be overwhelming and allowing yourself to rest can be challenging in itself. For all these reasons, many yoga teachers and the British Wheel of Yoga recommend starting yoga after the sixteenth week of pregnancy.

Q. Do I need to have practiced yoga before?

A. It is not necessary to have any prior knowledge or experience with yoga before joining a prenatal yoga class.

Q. can I practice yoga with SPD or groin pain?

A. You can practice yoga with these conditions and there are some poses that are beneficial to them. However, always consult your teacher and inform them before you attend class and they will give you appropriate poses to practice.

Q. Can I practice yoga with back pain?

A. Yes, you can practice yoga with back pain provided it is not acute. Many poses are very effective in helping ease back pain. Always consult your yoga teacher before class.

Q. When should I stop prenatal yoga?

A. Many women continue to practice yoga up until shortly before their babies are born.

Q. What should I wear ?

A. Loose, comfortable clothing is required.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neti pot

When I was training to be a yoga teacher, one of the 6 purification techniques taught to us was Jala Neti ( also called Neti or Jaaneti). Purification techniques are sometimes performed as a way of preparing the body for a yoga practice. Whenever the neti pots came out, I disappeared, always needing to be somewhere else at that moment in time… I had many techniques to avoid it: the bathroom, the water fountain, the shop, anything but the Net. Pouring a saline solution up my hooter was really not for me and I have avoided it right up to today. I have got a steaming cold and, as a result, I now have sinus pain, so I have decided to give it another go. Talk about waiting until your back is against the wall! I rushed to the Sivanada yoga studio nearby and bought myself a ceramic neti pot and salt. I had to follow the one photographic image as the instructions were in German!!! Although I did not find it as unpleasant as some people describe, it was not as bad as I remembered. So I will us

Sharath Jois in London 2013

Sharath Jois will be in London teaching a week of primary and intermediate ashtanga yoga From 25th-30th of August- in a central London location. Booking for this will open mid May. Through  http://www.astangayogalondon.com/index2.cfm A rare and wonderful treat to have Sharath in my home town-A big thank you to  Hamish Hendry  and ashtanga yoga London for organising this. Going to have to set an alarm on my phone- as there will be a lot of takers for this....

All about the balance

A snap from inside my fridge this week. The mix of wine, beer and Vita Coca sort of sums up my family really. The ones that drink wine and beer don't go in for the coco water, and the coco water drinker doesn't go in for wine or beer. In summary, none of us need worry about the other nicking all the drinks. :-)