Skip to main content

Heathrow airport terminal 5 snow chaos

So I should be sunning myself in India right now, but because London had some snow I am still waiting to start my journey.


Yes, I was one of the many sat on the tarmac at terminal 5 for 7 hours on Friday waiting to be de-iced, blow dried and all the other scenarios we were told were happening to the plane. British Airways had looked after me when boarding the plane, and had allocated me two seats to myself (as I am recovering from a medical procedure). Having had the week from hell and not being able to control the outcome, sitting on this flight was fairly minor in the greater scheme of things.



I understand we have no control over the weather but many European cities deal with snow on a daily basis, so I don't understand why an airport as large as this one gets it so wrong.

We were shipped off the plane and left to our own devices. There was no information whatsoever. After waiting a couple of hours for my baggage, I overheard someone say "no more bags will be coming out". Having left the baggage hall, I tried to speak to a member of British Airways staff. I was given a number to call and told to make my own arrangements. All the enquiry lines were either closed or busy. I'm one of the lucky ones as  I didn't have to sleep in the airport. My knight in shining armour (my husband) came on his trusty stead (an Audi) and took me home. So now I am booked on another flight leaving on Monday. I have no luggage as its now "in the system" somewhere???



I have been told to turn up early for my flight on Monday and they will try and find my bag. I am all for trusting things will work out, but given the state of terminal 5 on Friday, I am not entirely convinced this will happen. I am flying to Bangalore and then have a 3-hour taxi ride to Mysore. Fingers crossed for me that I will have some clothes when I get there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neti pot

When I was training to be a yoga teacher, one of the 6 purification techniques taught to us was Jala Neti ( also called Neti or Jaaneti). Purification techniques are sometimes performed as a way of preparing the body for a yoga practice. Whenever the neti pots came out, I disappeared, always needing to be somewhere else at that moment in time… I had many techniques to avoid it: the bathroom, the water fountain, the shop, anything but the Net. Pouring a saline solution up my hooter was really not for me and I have avoided it right up to today. I have got a steaming cold and, as a result, I now have sinus pain, so I have decided to give it another go. Talk about waiting until your back is against the wall! I rushed to the Sivanada yoga studio nearby and bought myself a ceramic neti pot and salt. I had to follow the one photographic image as the instructions were in German!!! Although I did not find it as unpleasant as some people describe, it was not as bad as I remembered. So I will us

Sharath Jois in London 2013

Sharath Jois will be in London teaching a week of primary and intermediate ashtanga yoga From 25th-30th of August- in a central London location. Booking for this will open mid May. Through  http://www.astangayogalondon.com/index2.cfm A rare and wonderful treat to have Sharath in my home town-A big thank you to  Hamish Hendry  and ashtanga yoga London for organising this. Going to have to set an alarm on my phone- as there will be a lot of takers for this....

All about the balance

A snap from inside my fridge this week. The mix of wine, beer and Vita Coca sort of sums up my family really. The ones that drink wine and beer don't go in for the coco water, and the coco water drinker doesn't go in for wine or beer. In summary, none of us need worry about the other nicking all the drinks. :-)