Skip to main content

The benefits of postnatal osteopathy



By Laura Tilson BA (Hons) M.Ost DPO
Registered and Paediatric Osteopath at The Putney Clinic of Physical Therapy


As an osteopath I spend the majority of my time showing people how osteopathy can benefit them. But trying to persuade a busy mum that she should put herself first for half an hour a day to sort out her bad back or that dodgy shoulder will be my mantra for the rest of my career.

Mums are renowned for putting others first and bravely soldiering on – because they are mums and that's just what they do.  And now – as mother to a four month old little boy - I can see why.  My days blur into one – each a haze of coffee, marching around parks and attempts at housework, never mind trying to fit in brushing my hair or getting a little admin done.

So perhaps I am biased, but over the last few months I have seen for myself how osteopathy has helped me and my little boy. I have been for four treatments since having him. Once a month, I have carved out the time and made it a priority because I'm set on practicing what I preach. But the results speak for themselves.

The osteopath I saw sorted out the pain in my back where I had had an epidural by finding restricted joints in my back and tight muscles and getting them moving again. With massage and pressure over my upper back she helped to release aches from hours of bending over during feeds. With the gentlest touch and movement she helped to encourage my baby to look comfortably to the left (he only looked to the right after a fairly traumatic ventouse delivery).

So perhaps I am biased but I cannot rave about it enough. This, along with a slow and steady commitment to getting fit again has been my rehabilitation back to my old self and I could not be more grateful.

Appointments


For appointments with Laura at The Putney Clinic of Physical Therapy, call  020 8789 3881 or send an email to info@putneyclinic.co.uk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neti pot

When I was training to be a yoga teacher, one of the 6 purification techniques taught to us was Jala Neti ( also called Neti or Jaaneti). Purification techniques are sometimes performed as a way of preparing the body for a yoga practice. Whenever the neti pots came out, I disappeared, always needing to be somewhere else at that moment in time… I had many techniques to avoid it: the bathroom, the water fountain, the shop, anything but the Net. Pouring a saline solution up my hooter was really not for me and I have avoided it right up to today. I have got a steaming cold and, as a result, I now have sinus pain, so I have decided to give it another go. Talk about waiting until your back is against the wall! I rushed to the Sivanada yoga studio nearby and bought myself a ceramic neti pot and salt. I had to follow the one photographic image as the instructions were in German!!! Although I did not find it as unpleasant as some people describe, it was not as bad as I remembered. So I will us

Sharath Jois in London 2013

Sharath Jois will be in London teaching a week of primary and intermediate ashtanga yoga From 25th-30th of August- in a central London location. Booking for this will open mid May. Through  http://www.astangayogalondon.com/index2.cfm A rare and wonderful treat to have Sharath in my home town-A big thank you to  Hamish Hendry  and ashtanga yoga London for organising this. Going to have to set an alarm on my phone- as there will be a lot of takers for this....

All about the balance

A snap from inside my fridge this week. The mix of wine, beer and Vita Coca sort of sums up my family really. The ones that drink wine and beer don't go in for the coco water, and the coco water drinker doesn't go in for wine or beer. In summary, none of us need worry about the other nicking all the drinks. :-)