Ingredients (serves 4 people):
- 10 plums, halved and stoned
- 2cm cube of ginger, peeled and grated
- 200g soft, dark brown sugar
- 2 small cinnamon sticks, or 1 large stick broken in half
- 2 star anise
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5.
- Put the plums in a bowl with the ginger, sugar and lime juice.
- Mix together to coat the plums, then place cut-side up in an ovenproof dish where the plums can lie in a single layer.
- Arrange cinnamon and star anise in dish, around the plums.
- Pour 75ml cold water around the fruit and bake for 30-40 minutes (cooking time depends on how ripe the fruit is. The harder the plums, the longer you will need to cook them for).
- Toward the end of cooking, spoon syrup mix over the plums to baste them.
- Remove from oven, allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon into wine glasses and serve warm or at room temperature (or cold, if you like), with a dollop of soya cream (or vegan ice cream) and plenty of juices from the pan.
- You can also finish the cream garnished plums with a handful of toasted almond flakes and a pinch of freshly ground cinnamon.
Recipe courtesy of Abel and Cole Organic Food Boxes: www.abelandcole.co.uk