Prep time: 15-20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Ingredients (serves 4 people as a main dish or 6-8 people as a side dish):
- A splash of olive oil
- 2 rashers of smoky bacon (optional)
- 1 large onion and/or leek, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g root vegetables (swede, celeriac, Jerusalem artichokes, parsnips, even potatoes), finely sliced*
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A pinch of ground cloves or a handful of thyme leaves
- 1 mug of double or luxury pouring cream
- ½ mug of vegetable or chicken stock, or water
- A handful of oats
- 1 mug of breadcrumbs
- A handful of nuts (chestnuts, if you can), chopped
- A nugget of butter
- A handful of grated cheese (optional)
*Swede, celeriac and other big root vegetables need to be peeled and cut into more manageable pieces before slicing.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
- Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a good splash of oil. Add the onion or leek and, if you are using it, the bacon. Fry till the bacon starts to crisp and the onions are soft.
- Stir in the garlic and add the sliced root veggies.
- Season well. If you are going to use the, add the cloves and gently fry for just a few minutes, just to soften them.
- Stir in the cream and stock/water.
- Simmer for 10-15 mins, till veg have softened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as required. If you're using thyme instead of the cloves, add them now. Pour everything from the pan into a baking dish.
- Mix topping ingredients together and scatter them over the top and bake till the top is crisp and golden, about 30 mins.
- Delicious with winter greens stir-fried in oil, garlic with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Abel and Cole