- 250 g (1/2 lb) beetroot, grated coarsely
- 250 g (1/2 lb) tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove garlic, chopped roughly
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive or sunflower oil
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60 g (2 oz) feta cheese
- Place the halved tomatoes in an ovenproof dish. Throw over the garlic and drizzle over half the olive oil. Roast them for 25-30 minutes at 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5 until soft and pulpy and pass through a sieve to remove the skin and pips.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and sweat the onion for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the beetroot and the stock and bring to the boil.
- Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Simmer gently for 7-10 minutes until the beetroot is tender.
- Stir in the tomato purée, transfer the soup to a blender and process until completely smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Reheat the soup until thoroughly hot but not boiling.
- Divide between warm bowls and crumble over a little feta into each bowl.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Recipe courtesy of Abel & Cole